THINGS I DID
• My wife and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary at the start of the year.
• We closed on a lot to build our first house together.
• We took three trips to St. George, UT.
• We voted in the 2018 midterm election.
• I designed and illustrated two book covers, five theater posters, a thank you card, a baby shower invitation, and about a hundred storyboards.
• I had a short comic published in the LDS Missionary Comic Anthology Served which raised nearly $25,000 on Kickstarter.
• I finished the first issue of my comic book series, The Impossible Mr. Quix, with 2 more in the pipeline.
• I sold several hundred items on Society6.
• I learned to use Adobe After Effects.
• I acted as Dungeon Master in a 9+ month D&D campaign.
• I started a full-time job as a graphic designer/illustrator.
• I designed my first national ad campaign.
• I read 14 books and 26 comic book trades, finished 9 video games, watched 60 movies and 32 seasons of television, attended 3 concerts and one live broadcast of a play.
• And best of all, I witnessed the birth of my first daughter.
BOOKS I READ
• Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh
• Back Story by David Mitchell
• American Gods by Neil Gaiman
• Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
• The Gangs of New York by Herbert Asbury
• The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
• Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol
• On Becoming Baby Wise by Bucknam/Ezzo
• Twelve Hours of Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old by Giordano/Abidin
• How Not To Be a Boy by Robert Webb
• Dracula by Bram Stoker
• Dune by Frank Herbert
• Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen
• Animal Farm by George Orwell*
COMICS I READ
• Punisher Max by Aaron/Dillon
• COPRA: Round Five by Michel Fiffe
• Secret Wars by Hickman/Ribic
• Dogby Walks Alone by Wes Abbot
• Reborn by Millar/Capullo
• Doom Patrol: Crawling from the Wreckage by Morrison/Case
• Stormwatch: Force of Nature by Ellis/Raney
• Noah by Aranofsky/Handel
• The Goon, Volumes 1-13 by Eric Powell*
• Hellboy, Volumes 1-5 by Mike Mignola*
VIDEO GAMES I COMPLETED
• Dark Souls
• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
• Metroid: Zero Mission
• Mario Kart 8
• Shovel Knight
• Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest*
• The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past*
TV I WATCHED
• The Great British Bake-Off (Seasons 1-2)
• The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell
• The Good Place (Seasons 1-3)
• It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Season 13)
• Frasier (Seasons 1-2)
• The Toys That Made Us (Season 1)
• Would I Lie To You (Season 12)
• Avatar the Last Airbender (Seasons 1-3)*
• Parks & Recreation (Seasons 1-7)*
• Peep Show (Seasons 1-9)*
PERFORMANCES I ATTENDED
• Spoon (live concert), The Cosmpolitan, Las Vegas
• I’m With Her (live concert), The State Room, Salt Lake City
• Andrea Bocelli (live concert), Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City
• King Lear (broadcast), National Theater Live
FAVORITE MOVIES (FROM YEARS PAST) I WATCHED
• High Noon
• Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
• Key Largo
• American Dreamer
• The Raven (1935)
FAVORITE MOVIES (FROM THIS YEAR) I WATCHED
• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
• Bad Times at the El Royale
• Paddington 2
• Crazy Rich Asians
SONGS I LISTENED TO THE MOST
• Hannah Hunt by Vampire Weekend
• Inside Out by Spoon
• This is America by Childish Gambino
• Love by Lana Del Ray
• Water by Ra Ra Riot
• I’ll Be Here in the Morning by Townes Van Zandt
• Mississippi (Outtake Version 2) by Bob Dylan
• Isolation by John Lennon
• Phone in a Pool by Ben Folds
• That Western Skyline by Dawes
• Clay Pigeons by John Prine
• Spanish Moss by Jackson C. Frank
• Easy by The Commodores
• The Weekend by Dave Rawlings Machine
• Trouble by Cat Stevens
• Aint That Fine by I’m With Her
• Let the Mystery Be by Iris DeMent
• Ghost Town by Kanye West
• Bad by Lennon Stella
*Indicates a title I’d read/seen previously
It’s been a long few weeks. Get your flu vaccines, folks. Wash your hands, cover your mouth with your elbow when you cough, and if you get sick please stay home or wear a mask.
The 3 Pilgrims has been on the back-burner, but I’ll be getting caught up over the next month or so with multiple updates. Thanks for your patience!
The Ones I Missed:
Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Hell or High Water, Jackie, Kubo and the Two Strings
The Ones I Liked:
Arrival, The Witch, High-Rise, Knight of Cups, I Am Not A Serial Killer, Popstar, Moana
The Ones I Loved (Top 10):
10 | The Lobster
A twisted, hilarious gut punch of a movie, and a reminder that Colin Farrell is one our greatest living actors.
9 | La La Land
Beautifully dramatizes the idea that it’s not always a straight line from where you are to where you want to be.
8 | The BFG
Only a master like Spielberg could craft a fart joke sequence as brilliant as the one featured here. Rylance is impeccable.
7 | The Jungle Book
Somehow a Kipling adaptation delivers a powerful, forward-thinking, anti-colonialism message in a year that desperately needed it.
6 | Green Room
A perfect study in building tension and then releasing it through shocking moments of violence. Stunning subtle performances from everyone.
5 | Hail Caesar!
Come for the fun riffs on classic cinematic styles; stay for the deep-rooted, morally-complex themes about the intersections between business, politics, and Christian faith. It’s kept me thinking all year.
4 | Tickled
The less you know, the better. The second-best paranoia thriller of the year.
3 | The Invitation
The less you know, the better. The best paranoia thriller of the year.
2 | Hunt for the Wilderpeople
You can’t help but fall in love with these characters. The funniest movie of the year. Ricky Baker!
1 | Silence
It spoke to me on a profound level. Among Scorsese’s finest, which means it’s one of the best movies ever made.
This last year was a real downer in a lot of ways, but there are little moments that make it all worth it.
Here’s me and my niece drawing together.
Here’s to 2017 and the moments to come.